China further simplified the visa process for overseas foreigners working in China, since the 10 years R visa launch in January and put on a trial system in 9 provinces, including Guangdong, Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Sichuan, Anhui, etc. 8 foreigners from different countries, South Africa, Isreal, Russia, America, Spain, Armenia have received their Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents, a required document for the R visa application.
What are the benefits of the R visa? You can check our previous articles, and we focus on the R visa application in the following contents.
The process of applying for R visa is much FASTER than the Z visa, applicants need to confirm or pass these 5 steps:
Under the current work permit system, foreigners are classified into the A, B, C three categories with a scoring system. Qualifying for Category A is the basic requirement for R visa application.
Image: State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs office in Shanghai
Here are more specific requirements for applicants fall under Category A if they meet ANY of the 6 following conditions:
1. Are employed through one of China’s regional plans for the introduction of foreign talent;
2. Adhere to internationally recognized standards for their field:
3. Are applying for a position in China adhering to one of the criteria listed above, or those to be employed in:
4. Are considered entrepreneurial and new industry talent by:
5. Are under 40 years of age doing post-doctoral research, and have graduated from a high ranking university or academic institution. Learning over six times the average local salary.
6. Score at least 85 points, you can use our mini-program to check your scores Now You Can Check Your Chinese Work Permit Application Online
It seems to “earning over six times the average local salary” is a less difficult requirement compared with the rest, if the applicant qualifies for this requirement, and works for a big-scale or well-known company, it has a higher possibility to get the Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents.
Once you meet one of the six requirements of Category A talents, you can start the R visa application journey, you can choose either apply for it by yourself or with our help.
1. Log in the website of State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs(SAFEA): http://fwp.safea.gov.cn/
Image: The website of State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs
2. Click the bar of Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents for R visa(check the screenshot above) and fill the personal information. At the same time, you are required the submit the following digit documents:
If all go smoothly, the company which issued you the invitation letter will receive Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents from the local SAFEA office within 5 business days.
Meanwhile, the Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents and other related information of the applicants will be synchronized to the Chinese Embassy, Consulates in the applicant’s country as well.
Image: A sample of Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents
Now you’re all set to submit an R visa application, you can either go to the Chinese Embassy in your own country or China’s Entry Ports, this step also requires a bunch of documents:
For urgent applications, It only takes 2 business days for the officers to go through all processes and issue a 5 to10 years R visa with multiple entries, for normal applications, it takes a few days more or less. The applicant’s spouse and children can acquire the R visa with the same validity and multiple entries, and all the application fee for R visa is zero.
With R visa, you can freely enter and exit China, there is a slight difference between the R visa and Z visa application, the applicant needs apply for China Work Permit after getting R visa, while in the Z visa application, the applicant applies for China Work Permit first, then Z visa. Now you should do these steps to get China work permit:
1. Log in the website of SAFEA: http://fwp.safea.gov.cn/
Image: The website of State Administration of Foreign Experts Affair
2. Click the bar we circled on the above image to update the R visa information, you need to submit these digital documents:
The local SAFEA will process the application within 3 business days, at the same time, the application is synchronized to the system of the local immigration office as well.
Above 5 steps are the whole process of starting the R visa application to legally working in China with R visa, it is estimated to roughly take 10 business days.